Monday, December 12, 2011

What's the difference between the aesthetics of a video and a film?

How can you differ video from a film? For instance, what would you say about Vertov's Man With a Movie Camera? Is it a video or a film? Why/why not?|||Although I'm not quite sure I understand what you're getting at with the question, I'll give it a shot.





Man with a Movie Camera is a film because it was shot on film. At least that's how I define film.





Aesthetically speaking, the film "look" comes from the shallow depth of field and softer image. Video is sharp and everything stays in focus. Even shooting wide open and zoomed in, you won't achieve a depth of field that will pass for film (assuming you're not using a 35mm adapter).





Also, a lighting and sound crew go a long ways to getting the film "feel", but even if something is shot on video and looks like film then I still consider it video.

No comments:

Post a Comment