Thursday, December 15, 2011

Is it worth learning to expose and develop color film?

I am a photography student, and know that both Film and Digital Capture are two different mediums with their individual pros and cons. But what I was wondering is besides landscape photography, would an pro photographers see any advantage in learning to print transparency slide film, or do you believe that color film (other than for landscapes in medium/large format ) is on its way out? Is there less of a reason these days to learn to shoot color slide film?|||SHOOT - YES, DEVELOP - NO. Color is so temp sensitive. Developing color film will drive you bonkers.





Wal-Mart is $2.00 and Calypso Dip and Dunk is $5.00 for E6.





As far as shooting slides. I would definitely shoot slides. They are gorgeous and they scan into huge, detailed digital images.





If you are really serious about landscape photography look into the affordable RB67 and shoot some Velvia 50. WOW! You haven't seen anything until you have seen a 6x7cm chrome!





Yes, I agree. Small format color film is on it's way out. The Mark III ds will be the final blow.





I don't shoot film in anything smaller than 6x7cm. I use digital before I shoot 35mm color film.|||Don't bother with it... I have used both... and believe me, nothing compares to digital.





Black and white photography may be the exception, since you can manipulate so much in the darkroom (Ansel Adams was the pro in that field)





And the National Geographic is all digital now. That should tell you something.





Don't waste your time with old technology unless you have a black and white art exhibit... that is my advice.|||My honest opinion: no, not worth it.





I learned how to shoot film. The truth is that film photography is old news. Digital photography is way more easier and looks like it here to stay!|||I would take a brief class to learn how to do it for background so you know the process but not for you doing it for your own pictures... Most professional photographers send out their work to be printed elsewhere now...|||honestly the only thing worth the hole developing and chemicals and ect is black and white film...other wise just stick with digital theres just too much involved with developing color film.|||well I remember one of my teachers saying she has two clients where she uses a large format camera with color film and she says that each client pays 10, 000 a job so if I can make that kind of money it is worth it|||It might be useful from a personal point of view, you'll learn how to do all sorts of things during and after developing that will later be useful even with digital. You don't really need to learn how to do it that well because you aren't really going to develop colour at home, too complicated. It might be a good idea because many years from now, not many people will be able do develop colour properly so you'll be really popular with anyone still using colour film, might even make some money.

No comments:

Post a Comment