Monday, December 12, 2011

Can I take Polaroid undeveloped film for instant cameras through airport security machines?

I'm traveling later this week and I recently bought a Polaroid 600 Instant film camera. Can I send unopened, undeveloped packets of film through in my luggage or must I carry it in my carryon? If I take it in my carryon can I put it through x-ray machines or must it be hand inspected?|||600 ISO film should be fine, so yes, you can send it through the X-ray. You never want to put film in your checked luggage, as those X-rays are more powerful and thus, more damaging to film.





However, checkpoint X-rays are generally safe for film that is under 800 ISO.





If you're still uncomfortable with it being X-rayed, pull it out of your bag (along with your baggie of liquids, your laptop, breathing machine, etc.), and ask your film to be hand checked. They should be more than happy to oblige the request, so if you want it to be hand checked, just ask for it.





They will probably inform you that it's safe to be X-rayed, but ultimately, that's up to you. This applies to film and cameras containing film, and not to digital cameras, as the X-rays can't harm electronics.





Happy travels!|||I haven't had any probs with the security X-ray machine at passanger check. I've put exposed film in my checked luggage and nothing happened to it. The choice is yours I personally would bring it in my carry on.|||The luggage scanner will fog your film, it's a far more powerful scanner (xray) then the one your carry-on bag goes through.





As a long time photographer, I recommend taking it in your carry-on, and have the TSA to a hand check of your film.|||as far as i know no x-ray machines at airports will have any influence on undeveloped film. you will have to pass all luggage through an x-ray at any airport. These machines would not be in use if it would damage films.

No comments:

Post a Comment