Thursday, December 15, 2011

What is your favorite brand of camera film?

Hey guys I was just curious as to what your brand of choice is when it comes to purchasing camera film, specifically 120 of 35mm format.


Also, do you prefer color or B%26amp;W film?


Do you have a certain speed you are partial to (ISO)?








Oh and also what's your personal favorite film camera?|||For black and white film, my favorite is definitely Kodak Plus-X. It's 125 ISO and so it needs plenty of light (or a slower shutter speed). But I love using it for landscape photos and long exposures. It captures super sharp images with no grain, and it has a really nice warm tone. It's also very forgiving with exposure and development mistakes. It's probably the most forgiving film I've used. I've used it in both 35mm and 120 format. It's absolutely amazing in 120 format, and you wouldn't believe how much you can enlarge an image from a 120 Plus-X negative. It will blow you away.





I've also used Ilford HP 5 Plus, and I'm starting to like it. It's a higher ISO film than I normally use and it does have a lot more grain. But the grainy effect can be interesting with some subjects. It also comes in handy when you need to take pictures in low lighting, but still need a reasonably fast shutter speed.





For color, I would say that my favorite films would be Kodak Gold 200, Fuji 200, or the new film that Kodak just made, called Ektar 100. Ektar is really picky about exposure and you have to try to get it just right. It's kind of tricky to use it with manual exposure and you really need a light meter. But it captures very sharp pictures with awesome color saturation. It has a completey different look to it that I've never seen before. If you get the exposure right and give it plenty of light, Ektar 100 will capture absolutely amazing pictures that will blow you away. It's perfect for landscape and architectural pictures.





As far as my favorite camera goes...that's going to be a tough question. I have a big collection of vintage cameras and I can't pick one favorite. I guess I would have to say that my favorite 120 camera is my Yashica A (a twin lens reflex). It's a very nice, solid camera with excellent optics and I also like the 6x6 image format. I think my favorite 35mm camera is my Minolta SRT-101. I actually just got it recently, but I really like it. After that, I would say that my Argus C3 and Argus C4 rangefinder cameras would be my next favorites.





Film cameras are a blast to use. Especially vintage manual cameras. There's nothing like using a REAL all-metal camera and hearing the snap of a mechanical shutter :)|||hmm for me favourite speed is a tie between 100 and 1600...usually I like to shoot slow color film and fast B%26amp;W film.


agfa scala would be my favourite film but due to the hassles of sending it from New Zealand to the states for developing and cost...my other chosen b%26amp;w films are fuji or ilford.


Color films I quite like the strong saturation of some of the kodak films..


and camera choice is definitely the Nikon Fm3a.|||My personal favorite is Ilford HP5 plus, ISO 400 black and white print film. It's the most versatile film I have ever shot, it has fine grain and good speed. I can push it out to ISO 3200 (though I've never done so beyond 1600), I can get it cross processed into slides with greater detail than it has as negatives, and even have it toned. I don't actually shoot much in color, but when I do, I have gotten great results with fujichrome velvia 100F, color slide film - all in 35mm format. I am usually partial to a film no faster than ISO 400. When I shoot film, I use my old nikon FE2 manual focus camera with a 50 1.4, so I don't need anything faster.|||I shoot mostly 120 and sheet film.








My favorites are:





Ilford Pan F





Fujifilm Velvia 50





Ilford XP2





Ilford HP





.|||Color:





Kodak Ektar 100





Fujicolor Superia Reala 100





Kodak Portra 160NC (for people)





Kodak Portra 400VC





Fujicolor PRO400H





For black %26amp; white I use Ilford XP2 Super because I don't have access to a darkroom and don't like mailing my film off for processing and printing.





My favorite cameras are my Minolta X-700 and XE-7. I use the X-700 with one of its dedicated TTL flash units - 360PX for people, 80PX Auto Macro Ringflash for macro photography. The XE-7 is for those times when I want to experiment with multiple exposures.|||*cracks fingers* Here we go!





Fuji Reala (for fireworks - mostly used on or around the 4th of July. I may check out some Ektar as well this year as well as when I decide I want to take pictures of my kitty or bunny and stuff)





For black and white films, it's a toss up. I enjoy Fuji's ACROS film for shots where attention to texture is what I'm going for. The stuff is pretty nice, and not quite as fussy as TMax (still fussy... just not quite SO fussy). For people, Ilford's family of films are quite nice - I love FP4+ and HP5+ quite a lot.





I also have a love for Plus-X and Tri-X - they're venerable old films, and I like their feel sometimes. I'm also playing around with some of the Efke black and white films and some others.





For Color Positive, again, I'm a bit of a Fuji man - Astia and Velvia 50 are pretty fun to play with.





I general go for 100 ISO. I'm mostly shooting with a f:/1.8 50mm prime, and do a majority of my shooting outside, so really much higher than 100 isn't necessary.





When it comes to my favorite cameras, it's a pretty strong toss-up. I love my Canon A1 (I've named him Steak Sauce) which is pretty much in my photo vest at all times, and while I don't get to use the little beastie all too often, I do love my Canonet GIII QL17.





I can't quite speak too knowledgably about medium format or larger - that's next on my "To Buy" list.|||I prefer 400 speed Tri-X because of it's graininess... either in 35mm or 120|||m/;'

No comments:

Post a Comment